Thursday, January 17, 2013

My Top 10 writers from the 1980s

Here's my list of favourite writers of the Marvel 1980s:
  1. Chris Claremont (Uncanny X-Men, The New Mutants)
  2. John Byrne (Uncanny X-Men, Fantastic Four, Alpha Flight, Avengers, Avengers West Coast)
  3. Frank Miller (Daredevil)
  4. Roger Stern (Amazing Spider-Man, Mighty Avengers)
  5. Walt Simonson (The Mighty Thor)
  6. Steve Englehart (West Coast Avengers)
     
  7. Ann Nocenti (Daredevil, Longshot)
  8. Bill Mantlo (Cloak & Dagger, Incredible Hulk, Micronauts)
     
  9. Mark Gruenwald (Captain America, Squadron Supreme)
      
  10. Peter David (Incredible Hulk, Peter Parker The Spectacular Spider-Man)

Honourable mentions: Doug Moench (Moon Knight), Tom DeFalco (The Mighty Thor, Amazing Spider-Man)Louise Simonson (The New Mutants, X-Factor), David Michelinie (Iron Man, Amazing Spider-Man), J.M. DeMatteis (Peter Parker The Spectacular Spider-Man, Defenders, Marvel Team-Up)

5 comments:

  1. Terrific list! Definitely agree with those top three placements, but all the other names did great stuff! The only name I'd add would be a personal favourite, Denny O'Neil. He's more famous for his DC writing in the 70s, but I loved his 80s Daredevil run (and he did cool stuff with Iron Man, too).

    All the best,

    david p.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey david p., I thought about including him, but I couldn't get into his Daredevil or Iron Man runs. I loved his Batman and his take on the Question though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a really great list.Though Claremont made a pretty good run as a writer, in my humble opinion I think Byrne and Miller revitalized the titles that they handled really well not just as writers but artists as well.Though not much familiar with Englehart, I was hoping that Michelinie made the list. He and Layton redefined Iron Man and paired with McFarlane made one of the best Spiderman runs in history.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Brys, thanks for the comment. Byrne and Miller certainly did that, but I found that Claremont spoke to me through his characters from Kitty to Cyclops to Wolverine. As for Michelinie, keep an eye out for a forthcoming blog entry about the best collaborations of the 1980s!

    ReplyDelete
  5. David Michelinie is the best, imho! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails