Monday, November 10, 2014

Marvel, 75 Years: From Pulp to Pop!


Did anyone else catch this TV special? It wasn't bad. While it seemed like a bit of marketing for the next wave of movies, it had a good look at Marvel history over 40 minutes. It was nice to see 1970s legends like Jim Starlin, Len Wein, and Steve Englehart get some screen time. Also, Jim Shooter took the stage as they moved from the 70s to the 80s. And from there they wrapped it up focusing on the Marvel movie era. Comics historian Peter Sanderson also has a few spots; a nice tip of the hat to him.
Oh, and did I mention the show was hosted by Emily "Agent 13" VanCamp? And if you needed any further convincing, there's a preview of Agent Carter.

5 comments:

  1. I thought it was pretty good, better than a puff piece commercial. I would've liked to have seen more about the Bronze Age, but I'm not surprised it got short shrift. While watching, I mentioned to my wife how I never expected to folks like Jim Starlin, Gerry Conway or Shooter on a major network during prime time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it was great to see them get some attention they deserve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't seen it yet. Since I live in the Netherlands were only able to see stuff like this thanks to downloads and such... But I will check it out later this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Michael, let us know what you think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Jason: I thought the show wasn't too bad, but it did seem like a long commercial to me, though. Like yourself, I did like seeing a lot of artists from the old days in the programme. Nice to see Kirby's son in there as well, just as Jim Shooter, Conway and Starlin. However, I did miss artists like Sal Buscema, John Byrne and the Romitas. I know JRJR has moved to DC, but still, his father and he did do a lot of good for Marvel in the past. Also, I was a bit suprised we didn't see more female artists, writers and characters in the show, especially since Marvel has been all about the girls lately. Nice to it hosted by Vancamp though.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails